Steak ‘n Shake, a cherished American staple, has served the nation’s favorite burgers and shakes since 1934. Its vintage-themed diners and commitment to freshly prepared meals have made it a favorite dining destination for many. While the classic allure of their shakes and signature steakburgers is undeniable, there’s an increasing emphasis today on understanding the nutritional values of our favorite meals. Let’s dive deep into the Steak ‘n Shake menu, examining its offerings from a nutritional standpoint.
Signature Steakburgers: More than Just Taste
- Calories: A typical single Steak ‘n Shake steakburger falls in the range of 280-550 calories. The count can be higher if you opt for a double or specialty burger. Adding cheese, bacon, and certain sauces can increase calorie content.
- Protein: The steakburgers are an excellent source of protein, with a single burger offering between 12-40 grams, depending on the size and add-ons.
- Fats: While these burgers are undeniably delicious, they can also be high in saturated fats. This is especially true for the burgers loaded with cheese and mayo.
The Famous Shakes: A Dessert Delight
- Calories: Shakes are where the calorie count can shoot up, ranging from 400-900 calories, depending on the size and flavor.
- Sugar: An important consideration for many, the sugar content in these shakes can range from 50-100 grams. The specialty shakes, with added syrups and toppings, tend to be on the higher end.
- Dairy Content: Essential for those with lactose intolerance, these shakes are made primarily with real milk and ice cream, making them rich in dairy.
Fries and Sides
- Calories: A regular serving of fries contains about 240 calories, but this can vary with adding cheese or other toppings.
- Sodium: One often overlooked aspect of nutrition is sodium intake. Fries, onion rings, and cheese sticks are high in sodium, which is essential to monitor for those watching their blood pressure.
Salads and Grilled Chicken
For those seeking lighter fare:
- Calories: A grilled chicken salad, without heavy dressings, sits at around 300-400 calories.
- Protein: The grilled chicken offerings, either in a salad or sandwich, provide a leaner protein source, with about 20-30 grams per serving.
Steak ‘n Shake, understanding the evolving dietary preferences, has incorporated some lighter options on its menu. Opt for water or unsweetened iced tea instead of sugary drinks, and consider skipping or going light on sauces and dressings.
While indulging occasionally at Steak ‘n Shake is a delightful experience, we must be informed about what we consume. Balancing indulgent days with healthier choices and staying informed about nutritional content ensures we enjoy our meals without compromising our health.